Thursday, September 16, 2010

Fabulous Find - Stitch by Stitch


I think if you're the blogging type of person, want to make a difference type of person and are creative at all in this day and age, you're going to end up sewing.

I grew up in a family of seamstresses. I am an extremely concrete thinker and just couldn't grasp the concepts of sewing, nor did I really want to. I remember being in Home Ec in high school and having to sew some sort of book. Oh my goodness. I also remember my teacher being extremely frustrated with me because I sincerely had no idea what in the world I was doing - and again, I didn't care. I got a C because of that stinking book.

Several years later I graduated college and needed professional casual clothes to wear for an internship. I didn't have any money. So my mom found some patterns and tried to teach me how to sew, again to no avail. I'll never forget her looking at me and actually saying out load, "How do you not understand this?!?" Poor mom.

Again, several years later I tried to make curtains. Do you remember me saying I'm impulsive? I almost always bite off more than I can chew. I got so frustrated with that project that I threw all the fabric I had bought to make them into a ball and into a closet. They ended up in the trash.

But then, just this year I found the Idea Room. And then I found Craft Hope. And I decided if I wanted to get involved and have the incredibly adorable things I have since found for myself and my children, I was going to have to learn to sew.

I took the plunge and bought a machine. Between bags and clothes, I am currently sewing up a storm. I'll have to share some pictures with you if you're interested! Just this week I used my first commercially designed pattern. Wow. That was not fun compared to the picture description, each step meticulously described Etsy downloadable patterns! But I had this great book to help me out.

This woman is down to earth in her writing style, is not 500 years old and actually gives you projects to complete while she's teaching you how to sew. A fantastic book and a must have if you decide to take the sewing plunge. You can find her book on Amazon here.

So, do you sew? Any sewing catastophes you'd like to share here? I'd love to hear them! I can take all the encouragement I can get some days!

Picture taken from http://www.amazon.com.

1 comment:

  1. You're too funny - and all those seamstresses you mention...believe me, we've had more form them into a ball and eventually throw away projects than we could even list!

    You're doing a great job, honey.

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete