Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Why I Hate Yard Sales

Wait. This is why I hate having yard sales....

A few years ago I did my first yard sale. My aunt helped me with it. I don't remember all the details about hosting that yard sale, but I do remember thinking afterwards I would never do it again. I wish I had remembered why.....

Well, in my forgetfulness, I decided to hold another one this summer. Now that my memory has been refreshed, I'd like to share with you why I hate doing yard sales.

Nice basket available. You'd pay at least $10 at Michaels for it. I have it listed for a whopping $2. Lady approaches me, "Would you take $1 for this?" Ummm...what does the sticker say???

Next lady. 2 sets of fairy wings with matching headbands. Slacker me only posted the wings. 10 cents for a set. Said lady approaches me with 2 sets of headbands and 1 set of wings. 10 cents right?

Wendell August Forge platters. They are sold for around $70 a piece, something the lady acknowledges. I have them marked for $3 because my husband is not a fan and wants rid of them. Lady comes up to me saying she wants to pay $5 instead of $6. I'm going to have to say no on that since I'm saving you approximately $134. But who's counting?

Multiple people freely tell me how much they hate the road I live on.

Lady approaches me with a bunch of things. I tell her it will cost her $1.10. Thrilled with her bargains she says, "I'm going to look for more things!" She comes back again. Now her total is $1.55. She pulls out her change purse and says she only has $1.05 because she forgot her money at home. Will I accept that? Okay, I guess I will because I don't want this stuff. Before she turns to go she asks me for directions to the next yard sale she wants to go to. Wait, did you forget your money or not?

And finally, the winner of the day comes to me wanting a set of sheer curtains for less than $5! I tell her I purchased them for $40. She tells me I didn't. (I'm pretty sure I did lady. Would you like to see the receipt?) When I tell her again that is what I paid, she tells me, "Well, they sure saw you coming!" She wasn't joking! She was literally being mean to me - in my own driveway - over $5!!

I posted signs under my mailbox advertising the yard sale. Did I accidentally write, "Hey if you need a reason to insult someone and rip them off, here's your opportunity!!" I should really have made sure before I stapled them to the mailbox post.

No comments:

Post a Comment