Monday, August 30, 2010

A Stick of Dynamite Anyone?

copy dynomite (1)Am I self-controlled (not easily angered) with my spouse? In other words, I could describe myself as not having a short fuse or quick temper.

You know what??? I am REALLY good at this. Ummmm.... Except for when my husband is late coming home from work or doesn't clean up things he gets out or is moving too slowly. Maybe its time for reassessment.

I used to yell at my husband - a lot. Actually it was when we were dating. I'll never forget him looking at me one time and telling me he was tired of me yelling and how it hurt him when I did. Surprisingly I didn't even realize I was yelling! It just happened. I told him I wouldn't do it again. And although I have been really upset and "raised my voice", I can say that I haven't yelled. I truly had no idea I was hurting him with the way I was talking to him about who knows what.

Losing our self control is way too easy - so easy that it's hard to even notice. It's easy to notice the slamming doors and things like that, but the more subtle ways we lose control - rolling eyes, sighing, cutting words - because we're upset about who knows what.

This week, I'm going to try to pay closer attention to what I'm doing when I'm feeling impatient and work to change those things. Perhaps it's as simple as needing some extra rest. Perhaps it's a matter of self discipline. We'll see.

Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment